Wednesday, July 24, 2019

International Symposium - Amsterdam


The international Urban Sketchers Symposium officially starts today in Amsterdam. I’ve been following their Facebook group (here) the past few weeks. It’s been interesting (and fairly enlightening) to note the variety of supplies sketchers pack when traveling.
Some people pack light, like Mark Alan Anderson (our very own Missouri correspondent).
Others, like Javier Mas Pinturas, bring a bit more. Some of the supplies are dependent upon the workshops you might be taking. Other items are just a matter of personal preference.
Many people use the first page of their sketch books to illustrate their art supplies, like this painting done by Annet Meulman of her handmade pencil case.
Others, like Elizabeth Alley, paint color swatches of their paint palettes. She even made samples of each of her colored pens and pencils on the right-hand page.
But my favorite first-page sketch was the one done by Debora Missoorten – she’s really getting into the spirit of the location.
One question that’s been popping up is how to carry all those supplies. Some people merely throw them into a backpack. Others, like Gardenia Fair, organize them into a zippered case. This is a really nice one, because it even holds her sketchbook.
Another question I see a lot is what to bring to sit on. Some bring elaborate camp chairs with backs (probably a smart idea if you’re going to be sketching for an entire day, but tricky when you’re limited on suitcase space). Others simply place a plastic sheet on the ground (my preferred method, as it’s easier to reach my paint palette). But hands-down, the most common option I’ve seen is the tripod stool. It’s lightweight, foldable, and easily transportable, even if it isn’t the most comfortable thing to sit on (especially if you’re a bit wide in the bum). This model by Walkstool that Helen Wilding is bringing really caught my eye, because the legs are collapsible. It’s a bit pricier than other tripod stools, but it might be easier to reach a paint palette resting on the ground.
An optional practice at these international symposiums is to bring some sort of trade item. Elisabeth H. Berge printed business cards with the contact information for their newly-founded Oslo chapter.
Leideke Steur van der Werf painted individual trading cards – what an amazing souvenir.
But my favorites were these handmade sketchbooks done by Gerlinde Schweiger. The cover was made from an Amsterdam map and the inside included a length of watercolor paper folded accordion-style. I’ll have to try this technique myself.

3 comments:

  1. Hey this is Emmett from the fountain pen class. I'm actually at the Symposium now, posting about it on ig and on my blog. I think I'm the only St. Louisan here, but let me know if there's someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the only lucky one I know of. Some of us are going to be sketching Bevo Mill this Saturday to join in the fun "virtually."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a lovely time, I hope I can download about the Symposium next time! It’s been an incredible time here

    ReplyDelete